This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2623 / 53°15'44"N
Longitude: -4.0935 / 4°5'36"W
OS Eastings: 260457
OS Northings: 375965
OS Grid: SH604759
Mapcode National: GBR JN82.FM9
Mapcode Global: WH542.28ZD
Entry Name: Bay House, including forecourt railings and gate
Listing Date: 13 July 2005
Last Amended: 13 July 2005
Source ID: 84755
Location: Set back from the road near the SW end of the street.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Community: Beaumaris (Biwmares)
Built-Up Area: Beaumaris
Traditional County: Anglesey
One of a pair of houses built by the Baron Hill estate in the late C19 on the site of the former public baths, and shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey and 1892 estate plan.
Belongs to a group of 47-49 Castle Street.
A reflected pair of 2-bay houses of 2 storeys with attics and basement, of rendered front, with channelled rustication in the lower storey, and mansard slate roofs on a moulded eaves cornice with 2 stacks on each end. Entrances are to the inner bays and have panelled doors with plain overlights, under canopies on deep corbels. Outer bays have 4-pane sash windows under keyed heads. First-floor windows have a sill band and architraves, which have consoles to stilted and moulded segmental heads with keystones, and 4-pane sashes. The attic, also with a sill band, has gabled half dormers in the outer bays with 4-pane sashes in architraves similar to the first floor windows. The basements have segmental-headed windows. The front retains original cast iron rainwater goods. No 47 also retains original forecourt railings, with spear finials, on a dwarf wall, and iron gate. No 49 has replacement railings.
In the gable ends the pebble-dashed walls are recessed between the stacks.
Listed for its special architectural interest as one of a pair of late C19 town houses of definite quality and character, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Castle Street.
Other nearby listed buildings