This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2626 / 53°15'45"N
Longitude: -4.0929 / 4°5'34"W
OS Eastings: 260499
OS Northings: 376002
OS Grid: SH604760
Mapcode National: GBR JN82.FWX
Mapcode Global: WH542.3884
Entry Name: Bulkeley Terrace, NatWest Bank
Listing Date: 31 March 1967
Last Amended: 13 July 2005
Source ID: 84781
Location: In a terrace fronting Castle Street between Raglan Street and Alma Street.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Community: Beaumaris (Biwmares)
Built-Up Area: Beaumaris
Traditional County: Anglesey
Alma Street, Bulkeley Terrace and Raglan Street constitute a major residential development built along the sea front from the mid 1850s. The development was initiated by the Baron Hill estate, who owned most of the small dwellings shown in the vicinity on the 1829 town plan, and who originally let the new houses on 80-year leases. The houses exploited the potential of a prime site between the Bulkeley Hotel to the E and public baths to the W. They were a major element in the mid C19 transformation of Beaumaris into a middle-class seaside resort and of its strong Georgian architectural character.
Two shops were incorporated into the original design of Bulkeley Terrace. The 1861 town plan shows Nos 1-5 and 8 Bulkeley Terrace completed. No 3 was described a newly built in 1857. The terrace is shown in its complete form on the 1889 Ordnance Survey.
Belongs to a group of 4-8 Bulkeley Terrace and 1 Raglan Street.
A late-Georgian style terrace of 3-storey 3-bay houses, pebble-dashed with smooth-rendered architraves, sill and head bands, except for No 4 which is scribed roughcast painted cream, under a slate roof hipped to the L over No 8, with added skylights and brick and roughcast ridge stacks and 2 stacks at the L end. Windows are mainly 12-pane hornless sashes in the lower and middle storeys, and shorter 9-pane hornless sashes in the upper storey. The central bays in each house have blind middle and upper-storey windows.
No 4 has its entrance to the R, with a recessed panelled door and overlight. Windows have surrounds with stopped chamfers, and in the lower storey windows the top row of panes has been replaced by a single pane. No 5 has a C20 shop front framed by Tuscan pilasters, a fascia with modern sign superimposed, and moulded cornice. A replaced panelled door is to the L, small-pane window to the centre, and small-pane window to the R, probably in the position of another former doorway. No 6 has its entrance in the R-hand bay, which has a panel door, the upper panels fielded, with overlight, and in a painted freestone surround with stopped chamfers. Windows are replacement sashes. No 7 has a panelled door to the L, the upper panels fielded, and overlight, in a painted freestone surround with stopped chamfers. The basement has a segmental-headed window. No 8, occupying a corner site, has a shop front (Gabriela) in the lower storey. It has a plain shop window to Castle Street framed by simple pilasters, fascia (with added modern sign) and moulded cornice. The entrance is in the splayed corner, and has replacement half-glazed door under a hood mould. The main angle of the building is also deeply chamfered in the middle storey. The L side wall, to Raglan Street, has a shop window similar to the Castle Street front. Further L is a half-glazed door under a round-headed overlight (No 1 Raglan Street). Above are central hornless sash windows, 12-pane in the middle storey and 9-pane in the upper storey, flanked by blind windows.
In the rear elevation the houses vary in their details, but share the same basic 3-bay structure with 12-pane hornless sashes in lower and middle storeys, shorter 9-pane sashes in the upper storey with blind central window. The basement storey is of painted dressed stone, with altered openings. No 8 is pebble-dashed with smooth-rendered architraves and lower and middle storey sill bands. It has a fielded-panel door to the L under a round-headed overlight. No 7 is also pebble-dashed with smooth-rendered keyed architraves in lower and middle storeys, plain architraves in the upper storey. The entrance in the R-hand bay has a panel door and round-headed overlight in a plain architrave, and beneath a moulded cornice on head corbels. No 6 is rendered and has moulded architraves in the lower and middle storeys and a middle-storey sill band. Its entrance is on the L side, in a painted freestone surround with stopped chamfers, a moulded cornice on consoles, and has a c1900 half-glazed door with overlight. No 5 is rendered, has moulded architraves to lower and middle storeys and a middle-storey sill band. It has 3 ground-floor windows, of which the narrower L-hand window was formerly a doorway, and replacement horned sashes. No 4, also rendered, has moulded architraves with pediments on consoles to the lower and middle-storey windows. The L-hand entrance has a plain architrave and pediment, and a half-lit panelled door and overlight of late C19 or early C20.
Bulkeley Terrace is listed for its special architectural interest as a mid C19 terrace of definite quality and character, part of a larger development including Alma Street and Raglan Street that makes an important contribution to the historical integrity and architectural character of Castle Street and Beaumaris sea front.
Other nearby listed buildings