This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2659 / 53°15'57"N
Longitude: -4.1043 / 4°6'15"W
OS Eastings: 259753
OS Northings: 376393
OS Grid: SH597763
Mapcode National: GBR JN72.8Q0
Mapcode Global: WH541.X5RL
Entry Name: Viewing platform and colonnade on the S side of Baron Hill
Listing Date: 13 July 2005
Last Amended: 13 July 2005
Source ID: 84796
Location: On the S side of the house, immediately N of the bridge over the B5109.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Community: Beaumaris (Biwmares)
Locality: Baron Hill
Built-Up Area: Beaumaris
Traditional County: Anglesey
Probably built in the early 1840s when a new main drive S of the house was created, and first shown on an estate plan of 1861. The steps provided access from the drive to the park to the E. Known locally as the pulpit.
A freestone semi-circular colonnade with Tuscan columns and entablature. On the outer sides are doorways leading to stone steps, which join and continue upwards beneath a broad viewing platform. At the top of the steps are freestone parapets. The platform retains a freestone parapet to the sides but the balustrade around the front has been lost. Stone steps, the full width of the platform, lead up to the main drive.
Listed, notwthstanding some loss of parapet, for its special interest as a garden feature of definite architectural quality and character, and as an integral component of Baron Hill and its gardens.
Other nearby listed buildings