This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9196 / 51°55'10"N
Longitude: -3.3733 / 3°22'23"W
OS Eastings: 305649
OS Northings: 225460
OS Grid: SO056254
Mapcode National: GBR YP.PCWN
Mapcode Global: VH6C5.H01Q
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 28 July 2005
Last Amended: 28 July 2005
Source ID: 84819
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on N side of lane, some 1.8km W of Llanfrynach village.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Anglican parish church of medieval origins, mentioned in 1402 episcopal register. The very plain tower may be post Reformation, c. 1600, but has no dateable features. The body of the church was rebuilt in 1829 and restored 1867 by Charles Buckeridge for £700. The masonry suggests that the 1867 work was virtually a rebuilding.
Church, rubble stone with Bath stone dressings, stone tiled main roof and terracotta ridge tiles. Tower, nave and chancel under single roof, and N porch. Tower is plain with plinth and pyramid slate roof. Chamfered string course just over plinth, no door. Plain square-headed chamfered 2-light bell openings with louvres. Single light S bell-opening, and two loops on S, two on W.
Nave and chancel have single roof with coped E gable, and chamfered plinth stepped down at division between nave and chancel, which is marked by a stepped buttress. The stonework appears to be of 1867. N side has porch to right of two plain 2-light windows, and nave S has three similar windows, the lights simple cusped lancets in Bath stone. The masonry of the left end of the S wall overruns the tower for a short distance, possibly an earlier feature. 1867 N porch with stone tiles, coped gable, ashlar flush quoins and chamfered pointed arch with hoodmould. Double iron gates, inner N door is 1867 ashlar pointed, with wrought iron scrolled leaf hinges. Chancel has two cusped lancets each side, and E three-light pointed window set high, with hoodmould and stone voussoirs.
Whitewashed plastered walls and scissor-rafter roof with four arch-braced scissor trusses, the third one ornamented, to mark the chancel, with pierced cusping. Trusses are on stone corbels, apart from chancel truss, carried on ringed column shafts from the floor with foliate capitals, the columns said to be of cast-iron. Low broad medieval or C16 purple sandstone chamfered pointed tower door. Plank door with wrought-iron scrolled hinges. The window reveals are segmental-pointed. One step to chancel, one to sanctuary, one to altar. Seat in chancel S lancet.
Fittings: Font possibly C12-C13 much retooled. Round bowl tapered below rim, on round shaft and base. Conical C19 timber font cover with metal cross. Painted ashlar pulpit of high Victorian type, the front of four curves with moulded courses at base, halfway and moulded cornice, upper section is pierced with cusped openings, 1-3-3-1. Stone steps fronted by a tri-lobe shaft. Brass eagle lectern after 1892. Wrought iron scolled rails with leaf ends. Oak stalls with pierced cusped openings to back and simple open kneelers. Pine open bench pews.
Memorials: Brass to the Rev. T. J. Powell died 1864.
Stained glass: E three-light 1909, possibly by R. J. Newbery, of Christ with SS Mary and David. Chancel N lancet by Mayer of Munich, Suffer the children, to V. Evans died 1887; and second lancet, 1856, the Presentation.
Included for its special interest as a rural parish church of medieval origins and with definite C19 character.
Other nearby listed buildings