This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6644 / 51°39'51"N
Longitude: -4.8869 / 4°53'12"W
OS Eastings: 200445
OS Northings: 200131
OS Grid: SN004001
Mapcode National: GBR G9.D2YD
Mapcode Global: VH1S7.7FVD
Entry Name: Alleston
Listing Date: 29 July 2005
Last Amended: 29 July 2005
Source ID: 84963
Building Class: Domestic
Location: To the SE of Pembroke at the end of a drive S off Lower Lamphey Road.
Community: Pembroke (Penfro)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Substantial farmhouse of earlier to mid C19 ornamental character. Alleston was part of the Orielton estate, offered for sale 1839, when it was called a 'genteel modern built house and farm' which suggests that the house dates from the 1830s. It is marked on the 1841 tithe map as still owned by the Orielton estate, occupied by Henry Phelps with 266 acres. It was bought with Underdown and the Grove Quarry by William Owen, the architect, of Haverfordwest. The site is recorded as Aylwardiston in 1382, was owned occupied by the Webb family, but leased to Sir John Carew in 1605. Edward Webb, gent., was there in 1609, Thomas Webb in 1637. In 1706 Francis, the grandson of Henry Davies of Bangeston was at Alleston. Thomas Poyer of Alleston is recorded later in the C18. The house remained part of the Owen of Withybush estate to the early C20.
The present house is a hipped square house with centre chimney and wide sashes of late Georgian type. the gables with bargeboards over the upper windows and doorcase have a Victorian look. Added later C19 gable on left side with similar bargeboards. The type of bargeboards also appeared on Warreston, a gentry house burnt in 1956.
House, painted stucco with hipped deep-eaved roof and centre brick axial chimney, rebuilt in C20. Two storeys, three-window range of broad 16-pane hornless sashes and centre door. Flat eaves soffits. Overhanging gables with fretted bargeboards and finials over upper windows. Six-panel door with flush panels, two glazed in mid C19 timber doorcase with panelled piers, frieze, broken forward over piers, cornice and curved tent top (similar detail to doors of nos 5-6 Westgate Hill). Right end wall has windows to right side, 4-pane above, 16-pane below. Left side has added projecting gable to right, with fretted bargeboards to overhanging verges, paired 6-pane sashes each floor. Bay to left has 4-pane sash over 16-pane sash as on other end wall, and small windows to left in end wall of outshut rear.
Not fully inspected. Inner half-glazed door with coloured glass margins and fanlight.
Included for its special architectural interest as a substantial late Georgian or early Victorian farmhouse with surviving exterior detail.
Other nearby listed buildings