This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6762 / 51°40'34"N
Longitude: -4.9193 / 4°55'9"W
OS Eastings: 198256
OS Northings: 201530
OS Grid: SM982015
Mapcode National: GBR G8.WDDB
Mapcode Global: VH1S6.P47B
Entry Name: Cromwell House
Listing Date: 14 July 1981
Last Amended: 29 July 2005
Source ID: 84967
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the S side of the road some 35m E of Pembroke Castle.
Community: Pembroke (Penfro)
Built-Up Area: Pembroke
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Substantial later C18 town house altered in late C19 when it became part of the Cromwell Brewery, founded by Robert George & Son c. 1880. The house is probably on an earlier basement, as the cellar has heavy beams, possibly late C17 or C18. The front room has delicate plasterwork of c. 1780-1820, and staircase looks later C18.
The big brewery building adjoining was built in 1879-82 on the site of the old Customs House. The George's firm was merged with the Swansea Old Brewery 1896 and taken over by W. Hancock's in 1927. Part of the Haven Christian Centre since late C20. A trade engraving of 1893 shows a simpler house front without the stucco detail to windows and door, nor the string courses and angle pilasters.
Large terraced house, painted stucco with slate roof, the brick end stacks removed since 1981. Moulded dentilled eaves. Plinth, angle pilasters (as on Nos 2 and 3), two sill courses broken forward over pilasters, which have moulded capitals and moulded course below friezes, moulded architraves to upper windows, hoodmoulds to ground floor windows. Three storeys, four bays with plate-glass sash windows. Doorway in third bay from left hand with stuccoed pediment on consoles. Recessed 6-panel door with 3-pane overlight.
Rubble stone left wall within former brewery throughway.
Long rear wing much altered in late C20 conversion to residential units. Three storeys, three bays, then two two-storey houses. Stone stack at end of three storey range.
Entrance passage with larger room to E, smaller to W. E room has panelled shutters and finely moulded late Georgian cornice with undercut classical leaf detail. Ceiling border with rosettes. Early C19 grey marble fireplace with roundels in top corners. Right hand room is altered. Fielded-panelled 4-pane door to staircase to rear of W room. Stair has thick square balusters, scrolled tread ends, and handrail ramped up to square newels. Six-panel doors with fielded panels. Fielded panelled shutters throughout. C19 fireplaces. Four-panel fielded-panelled doors to attic. Cellar beneath front has four heavy chamfered beams, and to rear SW part has C18 shallow brick vault and arched storage bins at W. There is thought to be another cellar parallel to right.
Included as a substantial late Georgian town house retaining original internal detail.
Other nearby listed buildings