This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8112 / 51°48'40"N
Longitude: -2.7172 / 2°43'1"W
OS Eastings: 350651
OS Northings: 212753
OS Grid: SO506127
Mapcode National: GBR FL.X0M3
Mapcode Global: VH86T.VQCW
Entry Name: ,33,Monnow Street,,,,
Listing Date: 10 August 2005
Last Amended: 10 August 2005
Source ID: 85107
Location: On Monmouth's principal commercial street which leads out of the town square going south-west to Monnow Bridge.
Community: Monmouth (Trefynwy)
Built-Up Area: Monmouth
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Early C18 main block with the same ridge line as No. 31 (qv) and possibly built together with it, extensively altered in 1866 by Benjamin Lawrence of Newport as Hyam's Mineral Water shop.
Rendered and painted brick front with a Welsh slate roof. Double depth plan with later additions at the rear. Three storeys, three windows. The ground floor has a good shopfront of 1866. This has a central entrance with the display window to the left, both are framed by red Aberdeen granite attached columns with stiff-leaf capitals in the Venetian Gothic manner, arched window heads with further carving in the spandrels. To the right of the door is a tall rear entry with good panelled doors. Continuous fascia. The first floor has cross-framed casements, the upper floor has 2 over 2 pane sashes, architraves to the windows and a decorated panel on the aprons between them. Cornice band, coped parapet which has raised the roof so that the front slope is reduced. Tall rendered stack on left gable, small red brick one on right ridge. Rear elevation altered.
Extensively altered in late C19 and since and no significant features are evident.
Included for its special architectural interest as an C18 building having a Victorian shopfront of definite quality and character.
Other nearby listed buildings