This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2207 / 53°13'14"N
Longitude: -2.9991 / 2°59'56"W
OS Eastings: 333387
OS Northings: 369760
OS Grid: SJ333697
Mapcode National: GBR 75.13Z5
Mapcode Global: WH885.X90S
Entry Name: Old Marsh Farm
Listing Date: 24 August 2005
Last Amended: 24 August 2005
Source ID: 85248
Location: Fronting the E side of the main A550 road.
Built-Up Area: Deeside Industrial Park
Traditional County: Flintshire
Large farm of c1850, one of several owned by the River Dee Company (1741-1902), which had a right to reclaim the marshes and build embankments following the re-alignment of the Dee. Old Marsh Farm was sold to a private owner in 1906 after the company was wound up. There is a large E-shaped group of contemporary farm buildings to the N, some now converted to industrial units. The house formerly had a large garden to the W, recently truncated by the A550 road, and is now divided into 3 apartments.
Large L-shaped 2-storey farmhouse with W range to front and S range. Constructed of brick under a shallow hipped slate roof with 3 brick stacks set behind ridge. Detail includes wide boarded eaves, dressed stone plat band and plinth. The windows are 16-pane hornless sashes with wedge lintels and stone sills. Symmetrical 3-window front with central round-arched entrance; stone doorcase with rusticated arch and keystone, inside which is a half-glazed panelled door under an overlight with radial glazing bars. N gable end of W range has a 16-pane sash to each storey. South range is 4-window and asymmetrical; eared stone doorcase to R of centre containing a glazed and panelled door under a 4-pane overlight. Sashes as elsewhere, those to the R-hand bay blind.
Three-sided courtyard to rear (N), the E side formed by a later kitchen wing. N elevation of S range is 3-window: ground floor with panelled door under a stone lintel flanked by wide 20-pane sashes, under a continuous slate-covered lean-to porch. Upper storey has 3 x 16-pane sashes as front. E elevation of W range has narrow full-height unit with hipped roof in angle of the 2 ranges; this has a panelled door and small sashes to R and upper storey; similar single-storey unit adjoining to R, also with small sash. Kitchen wing is single-storey with brick ridge stack; boarded door to L, 3-light wooden casement to R, further entrance to R end. This wing forms the end of a former carriage and stable range now converted to accommodation.
Interior not seen at time of survey.
Listed as a large mid C19 farmhouse retaining definite architectural character and well-preserved detail.
Other nearby listed buildings