This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2189 / 53°13'7"N
Longitude: -3.0564 / 3°3'22"W
OS Eastings: 329562
OS Northings: 369609
OS Grid: SJ295696
Mapcode National: GBR 73.18AY
Mapcode Global: WH885.0CW6
Entry Name: The Ship Public House
Listing Date: 26 August 2005
Last Amended: 26 August 2005
Source ID: 85264
Location: Fronting the S side of the High Street.
Community: Connah's Quay (Cei Connah)
Community: Connah's Quay
Built-Up Area: Connah's Quay
Traditional County: Flintshire
In Old English, probably Cheshire-based, style. A public house is shown on the 1st edition OS of 1870, but it may have been rebuilt since that time. It is shown in its current form in a photo of 1925.
Three-window, 2-storey, constructed of brick, the façade half-timbered to the upper storey, under a red-tiled roof; brick end stacks set forward. The timber-framed and jettied upper storey is symmetrical, with ornamental box-panelling containing quadrant circle decoration. This storey has 3 jettied gables with curved struts, under which are large transomed 3-light casements with quarries. The brick ground floor has an inset doorway slightly R of centre, with brackets to jetty forming porch; boarded door with small-light in wooden surround, under an elliptical-arched brick head. Immediately to its L is a 2-light casement with quarries in a stone surround, the lights with decorative cusped heads. These are flanked by shallow 5-light bay windows supported on brackets, the casements and fanlights with quarries. Built as part of the public house, just above jetty level, is a plastered scene in relief of a ship on the sea. A conventional pub sign is attached by an iron bracket to the central gable. The E gable end has a doorway adjacent to the stack and a segmental-arched window to L with C20 glazing; a pair of narrow plain-glazed sashes offset to L at mid-level; W gable end adjoined by a further building; rear not seen.
Interior not seen at time of survey.
Listed for its architectural interest as a well-detailed and little-altered Public House in Old-English style, retaining its original plastered sign.
Other nearby listed buildings