This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.926 / 52°55'33"N
Longitude: -4.1312 / 4°7'52"W
OS Eastings: 256828
OS Northings: 338635
OS Grid: SH568386
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MQY6
Mapcode Global: WH55L.HQY7
Entry Name: Shop and house
Listing Date: 26 September 2005
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85298
Location: At the W end of a terrace of shops on Bank Place, almost opposite Garth Chapel.
Built-Up Area: Porthmadog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in the 3rd quarter of the C19 and shown on the 1871 Tremadog estate plan and 1888 Ordnance Survey. In 1886 it was occupied by John Jones, 'house furnisher and general dealer'.
A 3-storey 3-window house and shop in late Georgian style, of pebble-dashed front, slate roof on projecting eaves, and shared stone stack to the L. In the lower storey the house entrance on the R has a recessed half-glazed door (partly boarded over) under a round-headed overlight. The shop has windows of 2 round-headed lights defined by thin mahogany glazing bars, flanking a recessed central glazed door and overlight. The shop and house entrance are both framed by plain pilasters and a deep fascia, with a later fascia superimposed, and awning over the shop. In the middle storey are hornless sash windows over 6 over single panes, and in the upper storey 9-pane hornless sash windows.
The pebble-dashed R gable end has a panelled door and, to the R, a tall small-pane horned sash window to the stair, and 12-pane hornless sash window above it. The rubble-stone rear has an lean-to and, on the R, small-pane sash windows.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a well-preserved C19 town house and shop of definite character, retaining a shop front with original detail. Forms a pair with No 8 and contributes to the historical integrity of Bank Place.
Other nearby listed buildings