This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.939 / 52°56'20"N
Longitude: -4.141 / 4°8'27"W
OS Eastings: 256217
OS Northings: 340101
OS Grid: SH562401
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.LW0M
Mapcode Global: WH55L.CDB7
Entry Name: Shop and house
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85305
Location: A terraced house fronting the street S of Market Square.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Tremadog was the creation of William Madocks (1773-1828), the first phase of which was built in the first decade of the C19 century. Nos 3-15 Church Street were added later in at least 2 phases. They are not shown on the 1842 Tithe map, although in 1813 Richard Fenton saw 'the elevation of a new street that is to face the new church', which could refer to Nos 5-15. Nos 5-15 were built first, followed by No 3. Nos 11-13 and 15 were subsequently heightened. The terrace is shown on the 1871 Tremadog estate plan and 1888 Ordnance Survey. No 11-13 was possibly originally a single-fronted house and therefore a pair with No 15, with shop added later.
Belongs to a group of 3-15 Church Street, Tremadog.
A 2-storey terrace of 4 houses and a shop, mainly of large roughly dressed blocks of quarried stone laid in regular courses, and renewed slate roofs on projecting eaves with stone and roughcast stacks. The details differ.
A 2-storey 2-window terraced shop and house of large dressed blocks of quarried stone laid in regular courses, slate roof on projecting eaves and stone end stacks. The entrance to the house (No 11) on the L side has a half-glazed fielded-panel door and small-pane overlight. The replacement shop front has small-pane windows and recessed central half-glazed fielded-panel door below a hopper light, framed by fluted pilasters and awning. In the upper storey are 16-pane hornless sash windows offset to the L side.
Listed for its special interest as one of a row of houses,using local stone and retaining C19 character in an important position close to the church, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Tremadog.
Other nearby listed buildings