This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9237 / 52°55'25"N
Longitude: -4.1309 / 4°7'51"W
OS Eastings: 256845
OS Northings: 338385
OS Grid: SH568383
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MYV6
Mapcode Global: WH55L.JR4Y
Entry Name: ,13,Cornhill (Pencei),Porthmadog harbour,Porthmadog,,
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85309
Location: In a row of terraced houses on the W side of Cornhill.
Built-Up Area: Porthmadog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Cornhill is the group of buildings around the original Porthmadog harbour (Cornhill Wharf), which was built 1821-4. It became the commercial centre of the port and in 1833 Samuel Lewis noted that 'many good houses have been built, and a considerable trade is now carried on'. Buildings in Cornhill included houses, shops, bank, offices and workshops. In 1886 there were sail makers, 2 block and spar makers, 2 public houses, 4 grocers, butcher, ironmonger and a shipsmith. In addition, the Bwlch-y-Slate Quarry Co, Carnarvonshire & Merionethshire Steamship Co, Workmen's Benefit Building Society, Davies Brothers Slate Merchants, Parry & Co and Prichard Brothers ship brokers all had offices in Cornhill.
No 13 Cornhill was built in the 2nd quarter of the C19 and is first shown on the 1842 Tithe map. It was probably among the 'many good houses' mentioned in 1833. The basement was a separate dwelling.
A 2-window house of 2½ storeys and basement, roofed in a single range with Nos 11-12 and 14-15 but separated from Nos 14-15 by a full-height vertical joint (the joint between Nos 12 and 13 is concealed by cement). Of large slate-stone blocks laid in regular courses, slate roof and coursed stone end stacks. Openings are offset to the L. The entrance on the L side is above street level, reached by stone steps. It has a replacement fielded-panel door under a narrow overlight. Windows are 4-pane hornless sashes, including 2 gabled roof dormers. On the R side slate steps lead down to a replacement boarded basement door to the L of centre, which has a window to its R.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a well-preserved town house which forms part of a terrace in the commercial centre of the port, notable for its distinctive use of local stone and of definite C19 character, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Porthmadog harbour.
Other nearby listed buildings