This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9238 / 52°55'25"N
Longitude: -4.1309 / 4°7'51"W
OS Eastings: 256842
OS Northings: 338390
OS Grid: SH568383
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MYV6
Mapcode Global: WH55L.JR3X
Entry Name: ,14 Pencei (Cornhill),Porthmadog ,Porthmadog,
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85312
Location: In a row of terraced houses on the W side of Cornhill.
Built-Up Area: Porthmadog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Cornhill is the group of buildings around the original Porthmadog harbour (Cornhill Wharf), which was built 1821-4. It became the commercial centre of the port and in 1833 Samuel Lewis noted that 'many good houses have been built, and a considerable trade is now carried on'. Buildings in Cornhill included houses, shops, bank, offices and workshops. In 1886 there were sail makers, 2 block and spar makers, 2 public houses, 4 grocers, butcher, ironmonger and a shipsmith. In addition, the Bwlch-y-Slate Quarry Co, Carnarvonshire & Merionethshire Steamship Co, Workmen's Benefit Building Society, Davies Brothers Slate Merchants, Parry & Co and Prichard Brothers ship brokers all had offices in Cornhill.
Nos 14-15 Cornhill were built in the 2nd quarter of the C19 and are first shown on the 1842 Tithe map. They were probably among the 'many good houses' mentioned in 1833.
Belongs to a group of 14-15 Pencei (Cornhill).
A pair of 2½-storey double-fronted houses of large squared slate-stone blocks laid in regular courses, slate roof with 2 skylights to each house, and stone end stacks. No 14 has raised rendered surrounds painted white, fielded-panel door under a narrow overlight, and 4-pane hornless sashes. No 15 has raised rendered surrounds, a replacement half-glazed door under a narrow overlight, and 4-pane horned sash windows. Each entrance has approach slate steps. No 14 has a dwarf forecourt wall of coursed, roughly shaped blocks, and No 15 has replacement steps.
Both houses have replacement rear windows and No 14 has an added large dormer.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a paired town house in the commercial centre of the port, notable for its distinctive use of local stone and of definite C19 character, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Porthmadog harbour.
Other nearby listed buildings