This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9396 / 52°56'22"N
Longitude: -4.1413 / 4°8'28"W
OS Eastings: 256200
OS Northings: 340173
OS Grid: SH562401
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.LVXS
Mapcode Global: WH55L.CC6R
Entry Name: ,3,Market Square,Tremadog,,,
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85336
Location: A terraced house on the E side of Market Square.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Tremadog was the creation of William Madocks (1773-1828), the first phase of which was built in the first decade of the C19 century. No 3 Market Square was added in the small original gap between Nos 1 and 5 (corresponding with Dublin Lane on the W side of Market Square) in the first half of the C19. It was part of a joint premises with No 1, and is shown as such on the 1871 Tremadog estate plan. In 1858 it became the Madoc Printing Office, established by Robert Isaac Jones, 'Alltud Eifion' (1815-1905), who published the literary and antiquarian journal 'Y Brython' from here, 1858-63. It was latterly a greengrocers' shop.
A small 2-storey 2-window house of roughly coursed and squared blocks of quarried stone with large lintels in the lower storey, slate roof on projecting boarded eaves, and stone stack to the R. The entrance on the L side has a replacement boarded door and narrow overlight. Windows are 4-pane horned sashes, all of different sizes.
Listed as a small C19 dwelling, using local stone, retaining definite C19 character, and as an integral component of the planned town.
Other nearby listed buildings