This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9391 / 52°56'20"N
Longitude: -4.1415 / 4°8'29"W
OS Eastings: 256182
OS Northings: 340113
OS Grid: SH561401
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.LVVD
Mapcode Global: WH55L.CD35
Entry Name: Ty Pab, including attached garden wall and gate
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85338
Location: At the N end of Church Street adjoining No 2.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Tremadog was a town created by William Madocks (1773-1828) in the first decade of the C19 on reclaimed land known as Traeth Mawr, the estuary of Afon Glaslyn. It was originally intended to be a post town on a direct road between London and Dublin, via Porthdinllaen on the Lleyn peninsula, a project that in due course lost out to the Holyhead Road. Tremadog was laid out around a market square, with market hall, coaching inn, houses and shops, with a church and chapel just outside the centre. Building of this small planned development, as well as a separate woollen manufactory, began c1805 and was largely completed by the time Richard Colt Hoare described it in 1810. Nos 2-4 Church Street belong to this first phase of development. They were probably built as shops and houses, and are shown on the 1842 Tithe map.
Belongs to a group of 2-4 Church Street, Tremadog.
A pair of houses in a 2-storey 3-window range of large quarried blocks of stone, roughly squared and laid in regular courses, hipped slate roof on projecting eaves and stone stack to the L of centre. The entrance to No 2 is R of centre and has a recessed replacement door in an original opening. To its L is a 6-pane hornless sash window inserted into a former doorway. At the R end is a 8-pane sash window inserted into a large opening (probably a shop window) under a timber lintel. At the L end (No 4) is a 20-pane horned sash window inserted into a similar large former opening with timber lintel. In the upper storey are 6-pane hornless sash windows to the centre and R (described as Gothic in the previous survey) and replacement window to the L. The R end (No 2) adjoins No 14 Market Square.
Attached to the L end (No 4) is a short garden wall of coursed rubble stone and coping. It has a pointed doorway with dressed voussoirs, and a wrought iron gate with railings forming ogee arches, and a quatrefoil and trefoils incorporated into the main arch. (An identical gate is at Plas Tan yr Allt.) The L side wall (No 4) is 4 bays of which bays 2 and 4 have blind round-headed arches of dressed voussoirs (in imitation of the Market Hall). The entrance to No 4 is on the R side of the 2nd bay, and has a replacement split boarded door in an original opening. Bays 1 and 3 have 4-pane sash windows in the lower storey under slate lintels and replacement windows in the upper storey in earlier openings. At the L end is an added 1-storey projection of rubble stone and slate roof, which has a replacement half-glazed boarded door and replacement window to its L.
The entrance leads to a hall with open-well staircase, with turned newel and plain balusters. The stairwell and one of the upper-storey rooms retains a plaster vault.
Listed for its special interest as a pair of early C19 houses and shops which forms part of the original development of Tremadog. The buildings retain definite architectural character, and use local stone; No 4 has particularly strong architectural character, perhaps acknowledging its position on the approach to the town. An integral part of the planned town.
Other nearby listed buildings