This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9391 / 52°56'20"N
Longitude: -4.1411 / 4°8'27"W
OS Eastings: 256212
OS Northings: 340112
OS Grid: SH562401
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.LVZ8
Mapcode Global: WH55L.CD95
Entry Name: ,5 Hoel y Llan (Church Street),Tremadog,,
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85341
Location: A terraced house fronting the street S of Market Square.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Tremadog was the creation of William Madocks (1773-1828), the first phase of which was built in the first decade of the C19 century. Nos 3-15 Church Street were added in at least 2 phases. They are not shown on the 1842 Tithe map, although in 1813 Richard Fenton saw 'the elevation of a new street that is to face the new church', which could refer to Nos 3-9. Nos 5-15 were built first, followed by No 3. The terrace is shown on the 1871 Tremadog estate plan and 1888 Ordnance Survey.
Belongs to a group of 3-15 Church Street, Tremadog.
A 2-storey terrace of 4 houses and a shop, mainly of large roughly dressed blocks of quarried stone laid in regular courses, and renewed slate roofs on projecting eaves with stone and roughcast stacks. The details differ.
A double-fronted 2-storey terraced house of large dressed blocks of quarried stone laid in regular courses, large slate-stone lintels, slate roof on projecting eaves and stone end stacks. It has a recessed central replacement half-glazed door under an overlight, and windows replaced in earlier openings. Stone courses between Nos 3 and 5 do not match, indicating that the houses are of different dates.
Listed, notwithstanding door and window replacement, for its special interest as one of a row of houses, notable for its distinctive use of local stone, retaining C19 character in an important position close to the church, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Tremadog.
Other nearby listed buildings