This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9396 / 52°56'22"N
Longitude: -4.1412 / 4°8'28"W
OS Eastings: 256203
OS Northings: 340167
OS Grid: SH562401
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.LVXS
Mapcode Global: WH55L.CC7S
Entry Name: ,5,Market Square,Tremadog,,,
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85344
Location: A terraced house on the E side of Market Square.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Tremadog was a town created by William Madocks (1773-1828) in the first decade of the C19 on reclaimed land known as Traeth Mawr, the estuary of Afon Glaslyn. It was originally intended to be a post town on a direct road between London and Dublin, via Porthdinllaen on the Lleyn peninsula, a project that in due course lost out to the Holyhead Road. Tremadog was laid out around a market square, with market hall, coaching inn, houses and shops, with a church and chapel just outside the centre. Building of this small planned development, as well as a separate woollen manufactory, began c1805 and was largely completed by the time Richard Colt Hoare described it in 1810. No 5 Market Square was part of this first phase of development. Its front was remodelled in the C20.
A 2-storey double-fronted house of pebble-dashed front with smooth-rendered surrounds and cement rendered plinth, renewed slate roof on projecting eaves, and stone end stacks. The entrance, offset to the L of centre, has a glazed door and overlight. Windows, wider to the lower R, are all replacements in original openings.
Listed, notwithstanding window replacement, for its special interest as an early C19 house which forms part of the original development of Tremadog. An integral component of the planned town.
Other nearby listed buildings