This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9395 / 52°56'22"N
Longitude: -4.1412 / 4°8'28"W
OS Eastings: 256207
OS Northings: 340157
OS Grid: SH562401
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.LVXT
Mapcode Global: WH55L.CC8V
Entry Name: Union Inn
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85348
Location: A terraced house on the E side of Market Square.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Tremadog was a town created by William Madocks (1773-1828) in the first decade of the C19 on reclaimed land known as Traeth Mawr, the estuary of Afon Glaslyn. It was originally intended to be a post town on a direct road between London and Dublin, via Porthdinllaen on the Lleyn peninsula, a project that in due course lost out to the Holyhead Road. Tremadog was laid out around a market square, with market hall, coaching inn, houses and shops, with a church and chapel just outside the centre. Building of this small planned development, as well as a separate woollen manufactory, began c1805 and was largely completed by the time Richard Colt Hoare described it in 1810. No 7 Market Square was part of this first phase of development. It was known as the Union Inn from at least 1868.
A 2-storey double-fronted public house of roughly coursed and squared quarried stone with large lintels, slate roof on slated projecting eaves, and stone end stacks. Its central entrance has fielded-panel doors under a thin overlight. Windows are 4-pane horned sashes, shorter in the upper storey.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a public house, part of the original development of Tremadog, using local stone and retaining definite C19 character and detail. An integral component of the planned town.
Other nearby listed buildings