This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.927 / 52°55'37"N
Longitude: -4.1357 / 4°8'8"W
OS Eastings: 256532
OS Northings: 338761
OS Grid: SH565387
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MPVN
Mapcode Global: WH55L.FPVF
Entry Name: Gates, gate piers and flanking walls at S entrance to church of St John
Listing Date: 26 September 2005
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85380
Location: At the S entrance to the churchyard, immediately N of the Vicarage.
Built-Up Area: Porthmadog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in the late C19, probably later than the church, which was built 1873-6, possibly 1897-8 when the tower ws added and vestry extended.
Square gate piers of rock-faced stone have roll-moulded freestone quoins and truncated pyramid caps. Arts-and-Crafts style ironwork comprises central double gates between simple square posts, and outer sections, of which the R-hand incorporates a pedestrian gate and the L-hand is fixed. Each section has 4 tiers of wrought iron scrolls with cast iron rosettes. The double gates have 6 columns each, the side sections 4 columns. The central gates also have scrollwork above the top rail.
Short stepped flanking walls are of rock-faced stone with freestone copings.
Listed for its special interest as a fine example of Arts and Crafts wrought-ironwork, and for its contribution to the setting of the church.
Other nearby listed buildings