This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9256 / 52°55'32"N
Longitude: -4.1298 / 4°7'47"W
OS Eastings: 256927
OS Northings: 338593
OS Grid: SH569385
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MR9L
Mapcode Global: WH55L.JQNH
Entry Name: Madocks memorial fountain in The Park
Listing Date: 26 September 2005
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85391
Location: Set just inside the boundary fence to High Street, on the N side of the bowling green.
Built-Up Area: Porthmadog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Erected in 1875. It originally stood at the junction of High Street, New Street and Penamser Road, in which position it is shown on the 1888 Ordnance Survey, but was moved to its present location when the junction was made into a roundabout.
A square polished granite memorial on a stepped freestone plinth. The memorial has a corbelled basin below a spout, and a bronze plaque with the inscription: 'This fountain was erected as a memorial of Wm Alexander Madocks Esq MP the founder of Portmadoc and in commemoration of the coming of age of his grandson Francis Wm Alexr Roche Esq Feb 18th 1875'.
Listed for its special historical interest as the only public memorial in Porthmadog to the founder of the port and town.
Other nearby listed buildings