This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9256 / 52°55'32"N
Longitude: -4.1318 / 4°7'54"W
OS Eastings: 256789
OS Northings: 338590
OS Grid: SH567385
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MQSZ
Mapcode Global: WH55L.HQPK
Entry Name: Masonic Hall, including forecourt railings and gates
Listing Date: 26 September 2005
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85392
Location: A prominent building on the corner of Bank Place and Lombard Street.
Built-Up Area: Porthmadog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in the late C19 and first shown on the 1888 Ordnance Survey.
A 2-storey Masonic hall of snecked rock-faced stone with larger quoins, monolithic rock-faced dressings and raised plat band, and slate roof, which is hipped to the front. The 3-bay front has a central entrance with Tuscan portico, and 'MASONIC HALL' in metal letters across the entablature. The entrance has a wide panelled door. Windows are 4-pane horned sashes, in the front and side walls. The R side wall, to Lombard Street, has 5 windows in the upper storey and 2 windows in the lower storey. In the L side wall are 2 windows in each storey at the R end, to the L of which the wall, like the rear gable end, is rendered with impressed small stones.
The forecourt has a dwarf wall with slate coping, and railings forming an open arcade of round arches with simple finials. The central entrance has double gates, flanking which the railings incorporate the Masonic symbol of crossed dividers. At the L end is a monolithic rock-faced gate pier, with pyramidal cap, and single gate hinged on the wall of the neighbouring house. Attached to the L angle of the front is a later iron gate.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a well-preserved Masonic hall retaining definite C19 character, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Bank Place.
Other nearby listed buildings