This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9279 / 52°55'40"N
Longitude: -4.1338 / 4°8'1"W
OS Eastings: 256665
OS Northings: 338849
OS Grid: SH566388
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MQ9X
Mapcode Global: WH55L.GNRS
Entry Name: Kerfoots
Listing Date: 26 September 2005
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85393
Location: Set back from the junction of High Street and Penamser Road.
Built-Up Area: Porthmadog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Originally Roberts & Co, and said to have been established in 1874 (date on building), probably as a chandlers. It is shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey. The shop front was renewed in the late C20.
A 3-storey 3-bay shop of whitened rendered front, with rusticated quoins painted green, slate roof on a deep moulded corbel table and continuing to No 138 (and stone stack to the R removed). The shop front is brought forward, and is framed by fluted pilasters and a deep fascia incorporating awnings above the windows. The central recessed entrance has double glazed doors with faceted panels to the base, and overlight, with round-headed windows to the returns of the shop front. The shop windows have, R and L of the entrance a pair of 2-light shop windows, with round-headed thin glazing bars. In the middle storey are paired windows in the outer bays and single window in the central bay, each of them round-headed with moulded architraves, Corinthian capitals and keystones, and 2-pane sashes. In the upper storey are 4-pane horned sash windows in plain architraves.
The sides, behind the adjoining buildings, and rear are roughcast, painted white to the rear, and the roof is also hipped at the rear. Some small-pane sash windows are retained, but most windows are replacements in earlier openings. The rear has an external brick stack on the L side and a 1-storey lean-to.
The ground floor has unusually high ceilings, and is open, with the upper floors carried on cast iron posts. The dominant interior feature is the central full-height geometric stair with turned balusters and newels, and moulded tread ends. The ground floor retains some moulded ceiling cornices.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a substantial purpose-built shop retaining C19 external character and notable for its especially fine and unusual freestanding staircase.
Other nearby listed buildings