This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9255 / 52°55'31"N
Longitude: -4.1288 / 4°7'43"W
OS Eastings: 256991
OS Northings: 338574
OS Grid: SH569385
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MRJ7
Mapcode Global: WH55L.KQ3M
Entry Name: Portmeirion Pottery and Gifts
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85398
Location: In a terrace near the SE end of High Street, opposite Heol y Parc.
Built-Up Area: Porthmadog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Nos 1-9 High Street were built in the mid C19 and are shown on the 1871 Tremadog estate plan and 1888 Ordnance Survey. Built originally as shops with houses above, early photographs show the façade stone-faced, which was later concealed by slate hanging. Nos 7-9 was a drapers shop from at least 1871. In 1886 the upper storey of No 9 was the office of the Prudential Assurance Co.
One of a row of 4 late-Georgian style 3-storey 2-window shops with houses above. They have slate-hung fronts, a slate roof hipped to the R end (No 1) where the corner is also splayed, with transverse stone stacks and a fourth, pebble-dashed stack at the R end. The houses are not of equal width. No 1 is the widest, Nos 7 and 9 are narrower than No 3.
No 9 has a late C19 shop front with replacement window and recessed entrance to the L with replacement glazed door. Middle and upper storeys of Nos 7 and 9, now a single premises have hornless sash windows similar to Nos 1 and 3 but in which the glazing bars in the lower sashes have been removed.
The L gable end is of large blocks of unworked slate-stone laid in regular courses in lower and middle storeys, roughcast above. The lower storey has inserted paired horned sash windows, and on the L side are small-pane sash windows in lower and middle storeys. The upper storey has a small-pane sash window to the R.
The rear, where Nos 3, 7 and 9 are set slightly back from No 1, is of rubble laid in rough courses. No 9 retains some small-pane sashes. Nos 7-9 have a 2-storey rear roughcast wing, which has a pebble-dashed front facing the lane at the side of the block. It has C20 horned sash windows, renewed external steps at the L end to a replacement first-floor door, and a half-glazed door and shop window inserted in a former wide doorway.
Listed for its special architectural interest as part of a short terrace of houses and shops, notable for its distinctive use of slate-hanging and retaining definite C19 regional character, close to and making a visual contribution to the historical integrity of the town centre and harbour.
Other nearby listed buildings