This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9294 / 52°55'45"N
Longitude: -4.1297 / 4°7'46"W
OS Eastings: 256942
OS Northings: 339008
OS Grid: SH569390
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MK9C
Mapcode Global: WH55L.JMPM
Entry Name: Road bridge over Y Cyt beyond NE end of Chapel Street
Listing Date: 26 September 2005
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85399
Location: On a short access road at the NE edge of the town centre.
Built-Up Area: Porthmadog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Probably built in the 2nd quarter of the C19 and shown on the 1842 Tithe map and 1871 Tremadog estate plan. The bridge crossed Y Cyt (The Cut), one of the principal drainage channels on the reclaimed Traeth Mawr.
A single-span, wide single-carriageway bridge of coursed Gest stone abutments and segmental arch with voussoirs. On the upstream (NW) side the abutments incorporate slots for stop planks. On the downstream (SE) side the abutments are longer and incorporate moulded rebates. The bridge has a coped parapet which, on the upstream side, has a short return wall on the L (N), and has partially collapsed at the R (S) end. On the downstream side are simple square terminal piers.
Listed as a well-preserved small C19 road bridge.
Other nearby listed buildings