This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9394 / 52°56'21"N
Longitude: -4.1419 / 4°8'30"W
OS Eastings: 256156
OS Northings: 340151
OS Grid: SH561401
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.LVQD
Mapcode Global: WH55L.BCXX
Entry Name: Taleifion
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85405
Location: One of a pair of houses prominently sited at the NW end of Market Square.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Tremadog was a town created by William Madocks (1773-1828) in the first decade of the C19 on reclaimed land known as Traeth Mawr, the estuary of Afon Glaslyn. It was originally intended to be a post town on a direct road between London and Dublin, via Porthdinllaen on the Lleyn peninsula, a project that in due course lost out to the Holyhead Road. Tremadog was laid out around a market square, with market hall, coaching inn, houses and shops, with a church and chapel just outside the centre. Building of this small planned development, as well as a separate woollen manufactory, began c1805 and was largely completed by the time Richard Colt Hoare described it in 1810. No 4 Market Square was part of this first phase of development. It was built as a pair with No 2, although details of the houses are now much different.
A 2-storey double-fronted house of large squared blocks of quarried stone laid in regular courses (and of more regular shape and size than 6-12 Market Square), renewed slate roof on wide eaves in a range with No 2, and with a stone end stack to the L. The central entrance has a replacement panel door and overlight. Windows are also replacements in original openings, larger to the lower L. In the L gable end, facing Dublin Lane, is a blocked doorway and a blocked window to its L. In the middle storey and attic are replacement windows. An added outshut also has a blocked door facing Dublin Lane to the side of the house, and has enlarged and replaced windows to the rear, which is pebble-dashed and painted blue.
Listed, notwithstanding window alteration, for its special architectural interest as an early C19 house, retaining significant elements of its original form as part of the early development of Tremadog, using local stone. An integral component of the planned town.
Other nearby listed buildings