This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9744 / 52°58'27"N
Longitude: -2.7409 / 2°44'27"W
OS Eastings: 350347
OS Northings: 342148
OS Grid: SJ503421
Mapcode National: GBR 7J.JLQB
Mapcode Global: WH89G.WH0M
Entry Name: 1 Hall Green Cottages
Listing Date: 20 October 2005
Last Amended: 20 October 2005
Source ID: 85440
Location: One of a pair of houses set back from a minor road between Redbrook and Higher Wych, opposite the back drive to Iscoyd Park.
Traditional County: Flintshire
Iscoyd Park was purchased in 1843 by Philip Lake Godsal, a Cheltenham coach builder, an estate of 202 acres (82 hectares) comprising mansion house with park, and cottages and smallholdings. Over subsequent decades farms were acquired from neighbouring landowners, mainly during the ownership of Philip William Godsal, who inherited in 1858 and died in 1896. In 1895 it was reported to the Royal Commission on Land in Wales and Monmouthshire that the Iscoyd Park estate, now expanded to 887 acres (359 hectares), had 9 farms. Of these 'six new farmhouses, bricked and slated, and homesteads to them, have been built new entirely' and 'sixteen cottages and buildings for pigs and cows have been erected'.
Originally a single dwelling, Hall Green Farm is indicated on estate plans of 1781 and the 1830s, and is shown on the 1838 Tithe map. It was still a single house at the time of the 1873 Ordnance Survey but was subsequently subdivided into 2 dwellings for estate workers.
Listed for its special architectural interest as an C18 house later subdivided, an unusual transformation, retaining definite early character, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of buildings of the Iscoyd Park estate.
Other nearby listed buildings