History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bryn Owen Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Bronington, Wrexham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9766 / 52°58'35"N

Longitude: -2.741 / 2°44'27"W

OS Eastings: 350338

OS Northings: 342400

OS Grid: SJ503424

Mapcode National: GBR 7J.JDPJ

Mapcode Global: WH89G.VFXW

Entry Name: Bryn Owen Cottage

Listing Date: 20 October 2005

Last Amended: 20 October 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 85450

Location: On the N side of a minor road between Redbrook and Higher Wych, approximately 400m NNW of Iscoyd Park.

County: Wrexham

Community: Bronington

Community: Bronington

Locality: Iscoyd

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Whitchurch

History

Iscoyd Park was purchased in 1843 by Philip Lake Godsal, a Cheltenham coach builder, an estate of 202 acres (82 hectares) comprising mansion house with park, and cottages and smallholdings. Over subsequent decades farms were acquired from neighbouring landowners, mainly during the ownership of Philip William Godsal, who inherited in 1858 and died in 1896. In 1895 it was reported to the Royal Commission on Land in Wales and Monmouthshire that the Iscoyd Park estate, now expanded to 887 acres (359 hectares), had 9 farms. Of these 'six new farmhouses, bricked and slated, and homesteads to them, have been built new entirely' and 'sixteen cottages and buildings for pigs and cows have been erected'. The latter smallholdings include many that were built on the site of earlier smallholdings.

Bryn Owen is a smallholding dated 1900.

Exterior

A 1½-storey cottage of brick with dentil verge to a steep tile roof on overhanging eaves. The front has a boarded door on the L side under a freestone Tudor-arched lintel inscribed 'PTG 1900' (Philip Thomas Godsal). Windows have segmental heads. To the R of the doorway is a 3-light casement window. A very small window is beneath the eaves. In the L gable end facing the road is a 3-light casement window and 2 single casement windows in the attic. The 3-window rear has two 2-light casements, and a single casement in the rear lean-to. The lean-to has a fielded-panel door, below a 2-light attic window.

Interior

Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special architectural interest as part of a well-preserved late C19 smallholding characteristic of the Iscoyd Park estate style, and for its contribution to the distinctive historic character of the district provided by surviving estate buildings, which together provide a good example of estate-sponsored improvement.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.