This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9885 / 52°59'18"N
Longitude: -2.7998 / 2°47'59"W
OS Eastings: 346403
OS Northings: 343764
OS Grid: SJ464437
Mapcode National: GBR 7F.HQF2
Mapcode Global: WH89F.Y4XR
Entry Name: Garden walls and bothy at The Gelli
Listing Date: 20 October 2005
Last Amended: 20 October 2005
Source ID: 85459
Location: On the S side of the house.
Locality: Tallarn Green
Traditional County: Flintshire
The Gelli was built in 1877 by John Douglas, architect of Chester, for Georgina and Henrietta Kenyon, daughters of the third Baron Kenyon. The garden walls are contemporary with the house and are shown on the 1911 Ordnance Survey.
Brick garden walls forming 3 sides of a square. On the S side is a bank. The walls have mainly stone coping, except for brick coping on the E side. On the outer side, the N wall has shallow buttresses on a broader plinth. The main entrance on the N side, from the stable yard, has a segmental head and boarded door. At the N end of the E wall is another similar doorway, from the garden, but the door is missing.
At the E end of the N wall is an L-shaped bothy of brick with tile roof. The main E-W section in line with the garden wall is part open-fronted under a hipped tile roof. It has a single-pitch projection which has a 3-light W window with brick mullions, a boarded N door, and brick stack behind.
Listed as a well-preserved C19 garden features including a bothy of definite architectural character, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of The Gelli.
Other nearby listed buildings