This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9722 / 52°58'19"N
Longitude: -2.7774 / 2°46'38"W
OS Eastings: 347892
OS Northings: 341931
OS Grid: SJ478419
Mapcode National: GBR 7G.JXHK
Mapcode Global: WH89G.9KP9
Entry Name: Multi-purpose farm block at The Hully
Listing Date: 20 October 2005
Last Amended: 20 October 2005
Source ID: 85476
Location: On the W side of the house and farmyard.
Traditional County: Flintshire
The cart house, with meal house and granary, was built in the late C19 when The Hully was part of the Hanmer estate, and is shown on the 1911 Ordnance Survey (surveyed in 1897). The shippon was added in the early C20 and is shown in photographs accompanying sale particulars of 1921. When it was sold by the Hanmer estate in 1921 the buildings comprised cart shed and implement store, meal and root house with associated engine, and loft with granary. It had a shippon for 38 cows, and calf boxes. The present piggeries are later.
An L-shaped block of farm buildings of brick with slate roofs. The earliest part, on the W side, is a lofted cart house, meal house and granary. It has a 3-bay cart shed occupying the centre and R sides, with brick piers, timber lintels and blue-brick relieving arches. To the L of centre is a boarded door and 3-light segmental-headed window to its L, originally the meal and root house with its own engine. There are 3 loft openings unequally placed, the L-hand with replacement glazing, the R-hand part glazed and the central open.
Against the L gable end is the lower L-shaped shippon. It has a split door flanked by steel-framed windows. The return range has 2 more doors and 3 similar windows, and 2 doorways to the former milking parlour, with skylights. The slightly lower piggery at the end has 4 replacement windows, and boarded door at the L end. Its former pens on the rear side have been removed.
Listed for its special interest as a farm building retaining C19 character, and as part of a strong farm group.
Other nearby listed buildings