This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9716 / 52°58'17"N
Longitude: -2.7644 / 2°45'51"W
OS Eastings: 348760
OS Northings: 341854
OS Grid: SJ487418
Mapcode National: GBR 7H.JT5G
Mapcode Global: WH89G.HKTS
Entry Name: Shippon at 1 Smokey Lane
Listing Date: 20 October 2005
Last Amended: 20 October 2005
Source ID: 85482
Location: On the N side of the house.
Traditional County: Flintshire
Iscoyd Park was purchased in 1843 by Philip Lake Godsal, a Cheltenham coach builder, an estate of 202 acres (82 hectares) comprising mansion house with park, and cottages and smallholdings. Over subsequent decades farms were acquired from neighbouring landowners, mainly during the ownership of Philip William Godsal, who inherited in 1858 and died in 1896. In 1895 it was reported to the Royal Commission on Land in Wales and Monmouthshire that the Iscoyd Park estate, now expanded to 887 acres (359 hectares), had 9 farms. Of these 'six new farmhouses, bricked and slated, and homesteads to them, have been built new entirely' and 'sixteen cottages and buildings for pigs and cows have been erected'. The latter smallholdings include many that were built on the site of earlier smallholdings.
No 1 Smokey Lane is dated 1867 and the shippon is probably contemporary with it.
A small shippon of brick with a tile roof. It has 3 split boarded doors.
Listed for its special architectural interest as part of a well-preserved C19 smallholding characteristic of the Iscoyd Park estate style, and for its contribution to the distinctive historic character of the district provided by surviving former estate buildings, which together provide a good example of estate-sponsored improvement.
Other nearby listed buildings