This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9755 / 52°58'31"N
Longitude: -2.7399 / 2°44'23"W
OS Eastings: 350413
OS Northings: 342277
OS Grid: SJ504422
Mapcode National: GBR 7J.JDZP
Mapcode Global: WH89G.WGGQ
Entry Name: Shippon at Hall Green Holding
Listing Date: 20 October 2005
Last Amended: 20 October 2005
Source ID: 85487
Location: On the NW side of the cottage.
Traditional County: Flintshire
Iscoyd Park was purchased in 1843 by Philip Lake Godsal, a Cheltenham coach builder, an estate of 202 acres (82 hectares) comprising mansion house with park, and cottages and smallholdings. Over subsequent decades farms were acquired from neighbouring landowners, mainly during the ownership of Philip William Godsal, who inherited in 1858 and died in 1896. In 1895 it was reported to the Royal Commission on Land in Wales and Monmouthshire that the Iscoyd Park estate, now expanded to 887 acres (359 hectares), had 9 farms. Of these 'six new farmhouses, bricked and slated, and homesteads to them, have been built new entirely' and 'sixteen cottages and buildings for pigs and cows have been erected'. The latter smallholdings include many that were built on the site of earlier smallholdings.
The shippon is probably roughly contemporary with the cottage, which is dated 1896, although it is not shown on the 1911 Ordnance Survey, surveyed in 1897.
A small shippon of brick, with dentil verge to a tile roof. It has 3 split boarded doors with strap hinges. In the L gable end is a small loft opening. In the R gable end is an inserted steel-framed window.
Listed for its special architectural interest as part of a well-preserved late C19 smallholding characteristic of the Iscoyd Park estate style, and for its contribution to the distinctive historic character of the district provided by surviving estate buildings, which together provide a good example of estate-sponsored improvement.
Other nearby listed buildings