This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.973 / 52°58'22"N
Longitude: -2.7388 / 2°44'19"W
OS Eastings: 350481
OS Northings: 341998
OS Grid: SJ504419
Mapcode National: GBR 7J.JM7G
Mapcode Global: WH89G.WJZN
Entry Name: Walls, gate piers and gate between forecourt and service yard at Iscoyd Park
Listing Date: 20 October 2005
Last Amended: 20 October 2005
Source ID: 85506
Location: On the E side of the house.
Traditional County: Flintshire
Iscoyd Park was built in the early C18 and was extended by William Hanmer in 1747. From 1780 it was owned by Rev Richard Congreve (d 1782) and his descendants, who sold it to Philip Lake Godsal in 1843. The wall separating forecourt and service yard is shown on a plan of the house dated 1780, as well as 2 other near contemporary plans, but was possibly altered when additional service rooms were added to the house, which are attached to the wall, and are shown on an 1830s estate plan.
A wall separating the forecourt from the service yard, of brick with freestone coping. At the SW end it abuts the game larder, and is swept down to a gateway. This has a square rusticated pier with ball finial on the SW side, but on the NE side is a round gate pier, also with ball finial, indicating different dates. The wooden gate has X-shaped cross bars. The wall abuts the coach house.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a well-detailed C18 courtyard feature, with C19 alteration, making a strong contribution to the historical integrity of the house and its outbuildings.
Other nearby listed buildings