This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9725 / 52°58'21"N
Longitude: -2.7392 / 2°44'21"W
OS Eastings: 350454
OS Northings: 341942
OS Grid: SJ504419
Mapcode National: GBR 7J.JM4B
Mapcode Global: WH89G.WKS1
Entry Name: Walls, gate piers and gates to forecourt and formal garden at Iscoyd Park
Listing Date: 20 October 2005
Last Amended: 20 October 2005
Source ID: 85507
Location: Around the S and W sides of the house.
Traditional County: Flintshire
Iscoyd Park was built in the early C18 and was extended by William Hanmer in 1747. From 1780 it was owned by Rev Richard Congreve (d 1782) and his descendants, who sold it to Philip Lake Godsal in 1843. The revetment, walls and gate surrounding the forecourt and formal garden were added in the early 1850s, probably by John E Gregan, architect of Manchester. His drawing of the proposed walls is similar to the finished work, although the extant gates are simpler than those shown in the drawing. The walls and gateways are shown on the 1873 Ordnance Survey.
Walls principally of brick with freestone coping, banding and piers, comprising battered revetments with parapet above. The forecourt entrance on the SW side has a projecting wall of rusticated stone, square rusticated gate piers with prominent ball finials, and wooden gate with X-shape cross bars. From here the wall returns in a NE direction in front of the house, where the parapet is mainly freestone, is stepped in beyond the end of the house, then returns and abuts the large coach house. This short return section also has a gateway with rusticated piers and pyramid caps, and wooden gate with cross bars.
From the main entrance the wall continues NW along the side of the house, and then returns across the back of the house. This latter section incorporates 2 flights of stone steps with low rusticated piers. The wall terminates where it abuts the library bay of the rear wing.
Listed for its special interest as a substantial and well-preserved C19 garden feature making a strong contribution to the setting of the house.
Other nearby listed buildings