This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9488 / 51°56'55"N
Longitude: -3.3924 / 3°23'32"W
OS Eastings: 304398
OS Northings: 228722
OS Grid: SO043287
Mapcode National: GBR YP.MF4G
Mapcode Global: VH6BZ.48YX
Entry Name: ,21,,,,,
Listing Date: 16 December 1976
Last Amended: 4 November 2005
Source ID: 85642
Location: At W end of building line on S side of Castle Street.
Community: Brecon (Aberhonddu)
Built-Up Area: Brecon
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Circa 1840; no buildings shown here on 1834 "Plan of Brecknock", and at the time of the building of the Market House (1838-41), Lord Tredegar gave £200 towards the widening of Castle Street.
Formerly listed with Nos 1 to 3 Berkeley Place which were structurally part of the same block, but demolished for road improvements in early C21.
Block of 4 houses. Three storeys, slate roof and with curved corner bay at W end. Facing street, 8 windows in all counting corner bay; render and pebbledash cladding incised as masonry; giant pilasters to ends, and bands at second floor level and at first floor sill level. Small square sash windows on second floor; tall transomed casement windows on first floor; on ground floor, each house with one single or triple sash window without glazing bars except for W, No 18, which has two; E house with corner bay, (No 21) with two doorways.
The W end (where Berkeley Place once stood) has been rebuilt in Georgian style as 3-window elevation with pedimental gable, end pilasters and banding between floors.
Good terrace of early-to-mid C19 buildings retaining their character in important street in historic centre of Brecon. Group Value with other listed buildings in Castle Street.
Other nearby listed buildings