This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9528 / 51°57'10"N
Longitude: -3.4021 / 3°24'7"W
OS Eastings: 303737
OS Northings: 229185
OS Grid: SO037291
Mapcode National: GBR YN.M4RV
Mapcode Global: VH6BY.Z59T
Entry Name: Cemetery Chapel (NW)
Listing Date: 4 November 2005
Last Amended: 4 November 2005
Source ID: 85779
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In the cemetery about 1km to NW of town centre. This chapel to NW of circular turning area in cemetery.
Community: Brecon (Aberhonddu)
Locality: Cradoc Road
Built-Up Area: Brecon
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
1858, by H J Powell, of Cardiff, architect.
One of a mirrored pair of chapels facing each other across a circular space. Decorated Gothic style, grey stone with bands of red-brown stone, and pale ashlar dressings; slate roof with alternating bands of grey and purple slates. Towards road, NE gabled end with belcote, and 3-light window with Decorated style tracery. Facing circular space, to L, gabled porch, and to its R, two gabled single light windows. South gable end has two lancets with Decorated style tracery. Elevation facing NW has porch with narrow doorway flanked by small narrow lancets, and to its R, two gabled single light windows.
Early example of C19 Gothic cemetery chapel, well-designed and preserved. The two chapels, the lodge and the gatepiers at the cemetery form a good group of C19 cemetery buildings with mutual Group Value.
Other nearby listed buildings