This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9523 / 51°57'8"N
Longitude: -3.4007 / 3°24'2"W
OS Eastings: 303834
OS Northings: 229129
OS Grid: SO038291
Mapcode National: GBR YN.M548
Mapcode Global: VH6BZ.06J6
Entry Name: Former Cemetery Lodge
Listing Date: 4 November 2005
Last Amended: 4 November 2005
Source ID: 85780
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Immediately to SE of entrance to Cemetery, about 1km to NW of town centre.
Community: Brecon (Aberhonddu)
Built-Up Area: Brecon
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Probably contemporary with the cemetery chapels; 1858 by H J Powell, architect of Cardiff. There are stylistic similarities with the chapels.
Lodge of one storey plus attic. Grey stone with red brick banding; mullion-and-transom windows of painted ashlar. Slate roof, NW crosswing retaining alternating bands of grey and purple slate. Facing road, gable with 2-light window in attic, and three-light window on ground floor, each with pointed arch in red brick above; doorway with Gothic-arched head. Rear gable is slate-hung with modern window to each floor.
Included as part of a good group of C19 cemetery buildings. The two chapels, the lodge and the gatepiers at the cemetery have mutual Group Value.
Other nearby listed buildings