This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8191 / 51°49'8"N
Longitude: -3.0177 / 3°1'3"W
OS Eastings: 329950
OS Northings: 213870
OS Grid: SO299138
Mapcode National: GBR F5.WQ3B
Mapcode Global: VH796.NJ1W
Entry Name: Outer Wall of Abergavenny Castle
Listing Date: 10 November 2005
Last Amended: 10 November 2005
Source ID: 86797
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Part of a group at Abergavenny Castle running round the south and west sides of the site.
Community: Abergavenny (Y Fenni)
Built-Up Area: Abergavenny
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Late C19. Probably part of the improvements undertaken to the Castle when it was opened to the public as a recreational amenity following its takeover by The Abergavenny Improvement Commissioners in 1881. It is recorded that the Marquess of Abergavenny spent £100 in extending the boundary wall of the Castle at this time as a part of the lease agreement.
Wall of red sandstone rubble with a cock-and-hen coping, running along the edge of the steep bank below the Castle and closing off its grounds. It is about 2m in height on the inner face but varies greatly on the outer face and joins the Gateway at the Castle Lodge (qv).
Included for its special interest as part of a group of well preserved historic buildings at the entrance to Abergavenny Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings