This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8211 / 51°49'15"N
Longitude: -3.0185 / 3°1'6"W
OS Eastings: 329896
OS Northings: 214094
OS Grid: SO298140
Mapcode National: GBR F5.WHWT
Mapcode Global: VH796.MHLB
Entry Name: The School Room (formerly of Abergavenny Congregational Church)
Listing Date: 1 November 1974
Last Amended: 10 November 2005
Source ID: 86802
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Immediately adjoining the United Reformed Church on the right.
Community: Abergavenny (Y Fenni)
Built-Up Area: Abergavenny
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Mid/late C19 and built to replace the manse of 1792.
Rendered and painted facade with a Welsh slate roof. Rectangular plan with gable end to street. Three bay pedimented front, similar to the adjoining chapel but plainer, with minimal pilasters and cornice. Central entrance with three round headed windows, the outer ones of full height, and one shorter at centre over the doorway. This has plain double doors with a 2-light transom and a plain pilastered surround of a very basic Tuscan order, with THE SCHOOL ROOM on the entablature. The windows are 2 x 3 panes with the centre one only 2 x 1. Round window in pediment, plain low pitch roof to match pediment line.
The rear elevation has three tall windows to match the main front.
The building has been divided horizontally by the insertion of an upper floor and staircase. The interior is now modern offices and no historic features were seen at resurvey.
Included for its special interest as an adjunct to the United Reformed Church and for having group value with it and with the adjoining Methodist Chapel.
Other nearby listed buildings