History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hill Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Abergavenny, Monmouthshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8325 / 51°49'57"N

Longitude: -3.0267 / 3°1'36"W

OS Eastings: 329348

OS Northings: 215376

OS Grid: SO293153

Mapcode National: GBR F5.VMW6

Mapcode Global: VH796.H68J

Entry Name: Hill Court

Listing Date: 10 November 2005

Last Amended: 8 June 2006

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 86809

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Built as a small country house to the north of Abergavenny but now incorporated in the northern built-up area.

County: Monmouthshire

Town: Abergavenny

Community: Abergavenny (Y Fenni)

Community: Abergavenny

Built-Up Area: Abergavenny

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Abergavenny

History

Mid/late C18 house, said to have been built in 1768 and then altered and extended in 1860. The building appears to have been little altered since then.

Exterior

The main block is faced wholly with cement render, probably over rubblestone, the wings are rendered and painted, Welsh slate roofs and rendered stacks. The original block faces south with C19 additions on the west (entrance) and east. Three storeys with the east wing two storeys and the west wing single storey.
The main south elevation has four windows to the main block with an additional window bay to the left and three more to the right thus 1 4 3. The ground floor has French casements under an iron tented verandah. The windows above are 6 over 6 pane sashes with 3 over 6 on the top floor. Hipped roof with ridge stacks.
The left return has a Doric porch in antis.
Rear elevation plainer.

Interior

Interior only partly seen at resurvey. The west wing contains the entrance hall and orangery, both are of 1860 and have coved ceilings.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its special interest a small late C18 country house which was altered and extended in the mid C19 and survives as a handsome ensemble.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II The Chapel
    Originally in open country on the north side of Abergavenny but now within the built-up area at the top of Avenue Road.
  • II The Tythe Barn
    Originally in open country on the north side of Abergavenny but now within the built-up area at the top of Avenue Road.
  • II The Tythe Barn
    Originally in open country on the north side of Abergavenny but now within the built-up area at the top of Avenue Road.
  • II The Tythe Barn
    Originally in open country on the north side of Abergavenny but now within the built-up area at the top of Avenue Road.
  • II The Tythe Barn
    Originally in open country on the north side of Abergavenny but now within the built-up area at the top of Avenue Road.
  • II The Willows
    On the west side of Pen-y-pound and one of the varied group of historic buildings on the main north-eastern access to Abergavenny.
  • II Wall, Gates and Railings of Harold Road Junior School
    Fronting the school site along the south side of Harold Road.
  • II Gatepiers, Gates and Fence of The Willows
    On the west side of Pen-y-pound and one of the varied group of historic buildings on the main north-eastern access to Abergavenny.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.