This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.822 / 51°49'19"N
Longitude: -3.0191 / 3°1'8"W
OS Eastings: 329858
OS Northings: 214204
OS Grid: SO298142
Mapcode National: GBR F5.WHR3
Mapcode Global: VH796.MG9K
Entry Name: Boundary Wall and Entrance Gateway of St John's Masonic Lodge
Listing Date: 10 November 2005
Last Amended: 10 November 2005
Source ID: 86813
Building Class: Education
Location: In Abergavenny town centre just to the west of the High Street.
Community: Abergavenny (Y Fenni)
Built-Up Area: Abergavenny
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
This probably dates in origin from the mid C16 and was built to enclose the yard of the Grammar School. It has probably been heightened and repaired since, possibly when the new entrance gate was built. This seems more likely to be C18, with its sharply pointed head and certainly looks as if it has been cut into the existing wall. The interior face is, however, clearly of the period of improvements 1899-1902 as are the gates themselves. It has not been altered since.
Random red sandstone rubble wall with Gothic arched gateway, modern iron work in the arch and timber gates. The wall joins the Master's Study (qv Masonic Lodge) and runs on both sides of the entrance gate. The wall is about 2.75m in height, including a probable heightening, with the gateway rising another metre. The gateway is built of Forest of Dean semi-ashlar with a sharply pointed head filled with C20 ironwork. Double plank doors with iron strap hinges. The interior face of the gateway shows a clear rebuilding and has the arch and quoins built in glazed red Cattybrook brick.
Included for its special interest as an ancient wall associated with the King Henry VIII Grammar Schol and St. John's Masonic Lodge.
Other nearby listed buildings