This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8211 / 51°49'16"N
Longitude: -3.0169 / 3°1'0"W
OS Eastings: 330004
OS Northings: 214101
OS Grid: SO300141
Mapcode National: GBR F5.WJ95
Mapcode Global: VH796.NHF8
Entry Name: ,48,Cross Street,,,,
Listing Date: 1 November 1974
Last Amended: 10 November 2005
Source ID: 86829
Location: Situated on the main commercial street which runs from south-east to north-west across Abergavenny.
Community: Abergavenny (Y Fenni)
Built-Up Area: Abergavenny
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
This is an architecturally remarkable building which, for its grandeur of scale, is unlike anything else in Abergavenny. It is extremely difficult to date because it has design characteristics from either the later C17 or early C19, but appears to have been built as a unit and so is much likelier to be nearer the latter date than the former. The use of the giant order in the manner of Inigo Jones is unusual, but a part of the remarkable effect created is because the ground falls on both elevations, with the Monk Street one in particular resulting in a giant doorway at the far end of the elevation. None of the joinery is earlier than c1820, so perhaps c1825 is the best estimate for the whole. The maps of 1760 and 1801 both show the site as built on, Coxe in 1801 shows a large building as now but apparently with a central courtyard suggesting that it has been replaced. Further evidence supporting c1825 is suggested by the clear heightening of the chimney stack of the adjoining but much lower No. 46, which probably dates from the mid C18. Since the early C19 there has been little alteration above the ground floor, and that has two C20 and one late C19 frontages. No. 48 is recorded as being a shop in 1851.
Interior not inspected at resurvey but it is reported that there is timber framing surviving about 2m behind the present facade, which would suggest that the building's origin is in the C16 or C17.
Included for its special interest as a probably early C19 development of considerable architectural value which is part of a strong group with the other historic buildings in Cross Street.
Other nearby listed buildings