This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8285 / 51°49'42"N
Longitude: -3.0228 / 3°1'22"W
OS Eastings: 329611
OS Northings: 214922
OS Grid: SO296149
Mapcode National: GBR F5.VWB8
Mapcode Global: VH796.K9BN
Entry Name: The Willows
Listing Date: 10 November 2005
Last Amended: 8 June 2006
Source ID: 86890
Location: On the west side of Pen-y-pound and one of the varied group of historic buildings on the main north-eastern access to Abergavenny.
Community: Abergavenny (Y Fenni)
Built-Up Area: Abergavenny
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Early C19 classical villa. Said to have been built in 1820 for Thomas Davis, an attorney and it has been given some alterations since, particularly in the late C20. Thomas Davis had his offices at No. 11 Nevill Street (qv) 1822-30.
Wholly stuccoed and painted, probably over brick, with a Welsh slate roof and red brick stacks. Square villa with double depth central entry plan, but this has been changed in the late C20 by the main entrance being moved from the south to the east elevation. Two storeys, three windows.
The south (garden) elevation has a central double door with glazed upper half, transom light over, simple architrave. This is flanked on the right by a tripartite sash with 6 over 6 panes flanked by 2 over 2, and on the left by a later 3-light window, each light with 3 panes and an overlight of 3 panes. Full width hipped tented verandah supported by eight slim wrought iron piers. The upper floor has three 6 over 6 pane plain sashes with stone cills. Roof with wide eaves, hipped over all.
The east (entrance) front has central blind panels on either floor. The ground floor has two 6 over 6 pane sashes with a large late C20 pedimented Roman Doric porch to right with late C20 door. The upper floor has two 6 over 6 pane sashes with stone cills. Roof with wide eaves, hipped over all, stack central to the ridge.
To the right is a two storey lean-to addition with small window below and 6 over 6 pane sash above.
The two other elevations are utilitarian.
The interior has been extensively modernised and the planning has been changed due to the moved front door. Some early C19 joinery does survive.
Included for its special interest as an early C19 classical villa which has retained its character.
Other nearby listed buildings