History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Castle House

A Grade II Listed Building in Sennybridge, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9451 / 51°56'42"N

Longitude: -3.5723 / 3°34'20"W

OS Eastings: 292025

OS Northings: 228568

OS Grid: SN920285

Mapcode National: GBR YF.MQJQ

Mapcode Global: VH5FF.1CBQ

Entry Name: Castle House

Listing Date: 28 October 2005

Last Amended: 28 October 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 86905

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated in centre of Sennybridge, by Pont Senni, on S side of the A40.

County: Powys

Town: Brecon

Community: Maescar (Maes-car)

Community: Maescar

Locality: Sennybridge

Built-Up Area: Sennybridge

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Sennybridge

History

Former Castle Hotel, variously also called the Rock & Castle, Pontsenny House and Pontsenny Hotel. Probably built after 1838. The turnpike road and new bridge were made in 1819-20 but the tithe map marks cottages and gardens on the site. There was an extensive brewery behind called the Pontsenny Brewery, offered for rent in 1873 with the Rock & Castle Hotel. There was also a woollen factory behind. Listed in 1926 as Castle Private Hotel, proprietor D. Powell.

Exterior

House, former inn, squared rubble stone with roofs of imitation slates. Two storeys, L-plan with hipped crosswing to left with roughcast E side-wall chimney, and main range to right with stone ridge chimney at original W end, extended by one bay to W. Raised plinth. Hornless 12-pane sashes with cut grey stone voussoirs and stone sills, one each floor to crosswing, then three on two-bay main range with door in left bay. Straight joint to addition which has similar sash above, over door and cross-window (replacing a sash), all with sandstone voussoirs. Main door is 6-panel, four panels glazed, with 3-pane overlight. Flat timber hood on brackets.
Left side wall, to river has the big chimney to centre, blind window to first floor left, 9-pane to right, another 9-pane to ground floor centre, and a basement door flanked by 6-pane windows.
W end wall of addition has brick in gable and a rear wing behind.

Interior

Interior not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its special architectural interest as a prominent former inn in late Georgian style.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.