This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9515 / 52°57'5"N
Longitude: -2.8135 / 2°48'48"W
OS Eastings: 345442
OS Northings: 339656
OS Grid: SJ454396
Mapcode National: GBR 7F.L12Q
Mapcode Global: WH89M.R2FM
Entry Name: Gates and gate piers at S entrance to Hanmer churchyard
Listing Date: 15 November 2005
Last Amended: 15 November 2005
Source ID: 86936
Location: On the S side of the churchyard opposite Hanmer Mere.
Traditional County: Flintshire
The gates were formerly in the chancel, and therefore can be dated to 1720. They are attributed to the smith Robert Davies of Croesfoel, Wrexham. They were removed from the chancel during restoration in 1884 and placed at a new churchyard entrance directly S of the porch. This entrance is shown on the 1900 Ordnance Survey.
Square freestone panelled gate piers are surmounted by sculpted lions. They flank central double gates and outer panels. The gates have scrollwork decoration, concave upper rails and cresting. The outer panels have dog bars, scrollwork panels in the centre and cresting with moulded finial.
Listed grade II* as high-quality ironwork, attributed to the most important architectural ironsmith working in Wales in the early C18, which marked the high-point of architectural ironwork in Britain, and forming a prominent feature that contributes to the setting of the church.
Other nearby listed buildings