This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9557 / 52°57'20"N
Longitude: -2.8357 / 2°50'8"W
OS Eastings: 343951
OS Northings: 340144
OS Grid: SJ439401
Mapcode National: GBR 7D.KTYZ
Mapcode Global: WH89F.DYWY
Entry Name: Lower House
Listing Date: 15 November 2005
Last Amended: 15 November 2005
Source ID: 86943
Location: Reached by farm track on the N side of the A539, approximately 1.6km WNW of Hanmer.
Locality: Cumber's Brook
Traditional County: Flintshire
A freehold farmhouse of probably C18 origin, when it was a small 1½-storey house. This had a 2-unit plan, interior details of which survive in the central kitchen. The house was extended in the early C19 when the present upper storey was built, an additional unit was added on the R side, and the L-hand end was extended slightly. The rear wing probably replaced an earlier projection shown on the 1839 Tithe map, and is shown on the 1873 Ordnance Survey. The R-hand end has subsequently been rebuilt, evidence for which are irregular vertical joints in the front and rear walls.
A 2-storey 3-window house of brick with slate roof, and brick stacks to the L of centre and R end. Its entrance to the R of centre has a half-glazed door. Windows are 3-light casements, under segmental heads in the lower storey, below the eaves in the upper storey, and the middle windows are offset L of centre. To the R of the entrance is a vertical joint indicating that the R-hand unit was added later, but is contemporary with the present upper storey. The upper storey is built of bricks of a slightly different colour to the original bricks, the upper extent of which is defined by a header course at sill level. At the R-hand end windows are not aligned between storeys. Set back from the L-hand end is another vertical joint, indicating the extension of the house slightly at he L-hand end.
In the L gable end is a casement window under a wooden lintel, L of which, i.e. set back from the front, is a lean-to with boarded door in the end wall. The lean-to has renewed windows and continues across the rear wing, where there is an open porch on a single thin steel post, leading to the back door. The rear wing, which has a higher eaves line than the main range, incorporates a continuous outshut in line with the L gable end of the main house. The outshut has an inserted window. The opposite side wall of the rear wing has segmental 3-light windows in each storey, plus a small inserted window upper L. In the junction of main range and wing the main range has an inserted 3-light window below the eaves.
The house has a 3-unit plan. The entrance opens to the central kitchen, which has a cross beam and fireplace with timber lintel. On its R side is a closed-string staircase.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a farmhouse retaining definite C19 character, representing the final phase of vernacular house building in the district and unusual in having been a freeholding in the middle of a large estate.
Other nearby listed buildings