This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9328 / 52°55'58"N
Longitude: -2.8036 / 2°48'12"W
OS Eastings: 346082
OS Northings: 337572
OS Grid: SJ460375
Mapcode National: GBR 7F.M9GP
Mapcode Global: WH89M.XJ4Z
Entry Name: Water tower at Bettisfield Park
Listing Date: 15 November 2005
Last Amended: 15 November 2005
Source ID: 86954
Location: To the N of the house and SE side of The Stables.
Locality: Bettisfield Park
Traditional County: Flintshire
Bettisfield Park was the seat of the Hanmer family and is a house of at least C16 origin. A new S entrance front was built in the late C18, probably by Samuel Wyatt of London. In the mid C19 there were further additions, including a new entrance on the E side, an Italianate tower, and a Tudor-style tower with French pavilion roof.
The water tower was built in 1842 (date on building), contemporary with additions to the house, and part of the development of service buildings and Home Farm at Bettisfield Park. It is shown on the 1873 Ordnance Survey with a range, possibly contemporary or earlier, on its W side.
An Italianate 4-stage tower of brick with pyramidal slate roof on deep bracketed eaves. The entrance is on the E side, a panel door in a moulded doorcase, beneath a large stone tablet with '1842' in raised numerals. Above it is a 16-pane horizontal-sliding sash window in an architrave in the 2nd stage, and small-pane oculus in the 3rd stage. The N side has a 16-pane horizontal-sliding sash window in an architrave in the lower stage. The 2nd and 3rd stages have blind windows. The W and S faces have a blind oculus at the 3rd stage. The upper stage is arcaded in each face, comprising 5 arches and blind except for small-pane glazing to the central arch.
Against the W wall is a former 1-storey coach house or stable (shown on the 1873 Ordnance Survey), subsequently used as a garage and now converted to a dwelling. It is brick with slate roof behind coped gables and finials similar to the Stables. It has 3 original openings on the S side and a later opening in the W gable end, all altered. On the S side is a late C20 1-storey projection, and a coped brick wall against the SE angle.
Listed for its special interest as an unusual form of outbuilding and of definite C19 architectural character, contributing to the strong group of service buildings at Bettisfield Park.
Other nearby listed buildings