This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9517 / 52°57'5"N
Longitude: -2.8171 / 2°49'1"W
OS Eastings: 345197
OS Northings: 339677
OS Grid: SJ451396
Mapcode National: GBR 7F.L05Y
Mapcode Global: WH89M.P2QJ
Entry Name: Mere House
Listing Date: 12 January 2006
Last Amended: 12 January 2006
Source ID: 86957
Location: Set in its own grounds to NW of Hanmer Mere with the driveway entry approx 200m to W of the churchyard.
Traditional County: Flintshire
A compact later Georgian villa dating from second half of C18, perhaps part of Hanmer estate improvements which include Hanmer Hall Farmhouse and the Vicarage. Western addition towards the rear has an incised brick dated "AH 1819".
Originally a two-storey three-bay symmetrical façade, derived from the neo-classical villa designs of Robert Taylor and other metropolitan architects of the period. Hipped slate roof with flanking red brick chimneys, wide painted eaves with dentils; white painted brick walls. Central splayed bay with portions of first-floor string-course running back from modern open pedimented Haddonstone porch; original Gothic traceried fanlight over 4-panel door. Windows are two and four-light sashes with metal shutter boxes over ground-floor openings. Shallow late Georgian two-storey bow to right end wall facing driveway to E.
To left of main façade is a lower two-storey one-window extension (dated 1819 in brick towards rear) with spayed bay and which once concealed a shallow bow like the E side. Detailing as before with painted brickwork and four-light sash windows. Modern extensions in white painted brick to E side and rear.
Not inspected at time of survey
Included as a small late Georgian villa of definite quality and character and a strong element in setting of Hanmer village and mere.
Other nearby listed buildings