This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9511 / 52°57'3"N
Longitude: -2.8509 / 2°51'3"W
OS Eastings: 342926
OS Northings: 339637
OS Grid: SJ429396
Mapcode National: GBR 7C.L40P
Mapcode Global: WH89M.52PZ
Entry Name: Stryt Lydan
Listing Date: 18 November 2005
Last Amended: 18 November 2005
Source ID: 86972
Location: Set back from the road approximately 1.1km E of Penley.
Community: Maelor South (De Maelor)
Community: Maelor South
Locality: Street Lydan
Traditional County: Flintshire
An early C19 house shown on the 1839 Tithe map, probably originally 2 dwellings. In 1839 it was owned by Robert Grindley and occupied by Thomas Grindley. It was subsequently acquired by the Dymock family of Penley Hall and became part of the Gredington Estate in 1948. It was sold in the early C21.
A late-Georgian style 2-storey unit house, near square in plan, of hand-moulded Flemish-bond brick, with hipped slate roof on dentil eaves, to a central valley, 2 central brick stacks and another brick stack behind. The S front, facing the road, is symmetrical, of 3 bays. The central fielded-panel door has a doorcase with open pediment on consoles, panelled reveals and round-headed radial-glazed overlight. Windows, under wedge lintels, are 16-pane hornless sashes in the lower storey, similar but smaller 12-pane sashes in the upper storey.
In the 4-bay R-hand (E) elevation the first bay is blind. In bay 3 is a panelled door under a 3-pane overlight, in a doorcase with pediment. Flanking windows have segmental heads and are 24-pane horizontal-sliding sashes in the lower storey, and in the upper storey a similar window in the 4th bay but otherwise 16-pane horizontal-sliding sashes.
In the 4-window L (W) side wall the R-hand windows are blind and the remainder have 2-light casements. The rear has a 1-storey lean-to with modern fenestration, and 2-light casements in the upper storey.
Listed as a well-preserved C19 house retaining original detail and definite architectural character, and an unusual and late example of a unit house.
Other nearby listed buildings