This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8013 / 51°48'4"N
Longitude: -4.9675 / 4°58'3"W
OS Eastings: 195489
OS Northings: 215575
OS Grid: SM954155
Mapcode National: GBR CL.XLJ2
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.VZ7H
Entry Name: The Post Office
Listing Date: 30 November 2005
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 87034
Building Class: Civil
Location: Situated prominently on NE side of street some 85m S of its junction with High Street.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Post Office, built in 1934-6 for the GPO, probably designed by architects in the Office of Works, an example of the high quality neo-Georgian post offices of the inter-war period. The post office replaced the large building at No 8 High St built in 1879, a previous post office, adjacent to No 10 High St, was demolished in 1891.
Post Office, Bath stone ashlar with slate hipped roof and large painted timber lantern on roof. Roof is set back with concealed gutter above cornice. Lantern is square with an arched latticed opening each side with impost and key blocks, entablature with cornice and blocking course under steep concave-sided copper pyramid roof with vane. Ashlar chimney at rear left corner, tall and thin with cornice.
Two-storey, five-bay front with moulded plinth and ashlar moulded dentil cornice. Thick glazing bars to sash windows, 16-pane to first floor, large 30-pane to ground floor, with ashlar sills. Centre double panelled doors with brass fittings, in fine pedimented carved doorcase with attached Roman Doric columns, entablature blocks with triglyphs, carrying an open pediment with flat mutules over finely-carved royal arms. Cornice is continued around the two end walls over three 12-pane first floor sashes, and a downpipe with ornamental hopper-head. Single storey wings to left and right with parapet and moulded coping, and unmoulded plinth. Left wing has three 16-pane sashes, right wing has single arched window with triple keystone, the jambs carried down to the plinth, and three similar windows on S end wall. The parapet on this S wing is subtly stepped back under the moulded coping. Rear wall is pebbledashed and behind is a lower sorting-room, pebbledashed with hipped slate roof and hipped glazed lantern.
Included for its special architectural interest as a finely designed neo-Georgian post office in Bath stone.
Other nearby listed buildings