This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8026 / 51°48'9"N
Longitude: -4.9794 / 4°58'45"W
OS Eastings: 194674
OS Northings: 215748
OS Grid: SM946157
Mapcode National: GBR CK.XPJQ
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.MYYJ
Entry Name: Cemetery Gates, Gatepiers and adjoiniing railings
Listing Date: 30 November 2005
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 87050
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated at the end of City Road, just N of junction with Hawthorn Rise.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Cast iron gatepiers and gates to St Martin's Cemetery, the principal town cemetery, laid out c. 1860.
Two large cast-iron Gothic gatepiers, octagonal openwork with cusped narrow panels on two levels, moulded base and cap. Double cast-iron gates with two rows of long openings, cusped at top and bottom, between three rows of cusped squares, and cresting above top rail. Matching railings on rubble stone walls with stone coping, the railings with cusped squares to top and bottom, cresting and ornate standards with octagonal shafts and big finials. Three bays of railing each side of gates.
Included for their special interest as unusually ornate Victorian decorative cast-iron work at a major public cemetery.
Other nearby listed buildings